There is a relationship between indoor mould, damp conditions and increased:
If you suspect that you or your family’s health is being affected by mould, talk to your health care provider as soon as possible.
People respond to mould in different ways, depending upon the amount of exposure and the person’s overall health. Some people are more vulnerable to the effects of mould than others. This includes children, the elderly and those with a weakened immune system or other medical condition(s), such as asthma, severe allergies or other respiratory conditions.
Mould is the common word for any fungus that grows on food or damp materials. Mould can be black, white or almost any colour. It often looks like a stain or smudge and it may smell musty.
In order to grow, mould needs moisture and a material it can live on. It then releases “spores” into the air which are small enough that people can actually breathe them in. Breathing in large amounts of these spores and the by-products they produce can negatively impact your health.
Common places for mould to grow indoors are on window sills, fabrics, carpets, and walls in kitchens, bathrooms, and laundry areas.